Rajasthan, a regal state of India is famous for its intrigue beauty, charismatic palaces and magnificent forts. People from in and around country visit Jaipur every year and enjoy the royal beauty. The rich and amazing culture of Rajasthan just enhances its beauty. In the series of forts and palace today we are going to talk about the magnificent Nahargarh Fort in Jaipur.
About Nahargarh Fort
One of the largest forts in India the Nahargarh Fort is a charm of Rajasthan and its heritage. The fort holds a rich and amazing history with it as this fort along with two other significant forts of Amber and Jaigarh formed a strong defense for Jaipur city. Situated on the world’s oldest mountain ranges, The Aravalli Ranges, Nahargarh Fort offers a spectacular view of the Pink City, Jaipur. Nahargarh Fort is indeed a jewel of Jaipur tourism.
History and the Legend of The Nahargarh Fort
Rajasthan’s history is filled with royal stories and regal legends. According to the historians the Nahargarh Fort was constructed as a retreat palace on the summit of ridge above the city in 1734 by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II. The initial name of the fort was Sudarshangarh Fort which later changed to Nahargarh Fort which means The Adobe of Tigers. As per the History of Nahargarh Fort, it was built for the protection of the city fortunately the fort never came under any attack during the course of history.
Legends has the fort was named after a Rajput Prince namely Nahar Singh Bhomia. He was a Rathore prince and the land on which Fort was building by Maharaja Jai Singh II was belonged to him. As per the stories, his spirit creat obstacles in building of the fort and haunt the area. To pacify his spirit Jai Singh built a fortress inside the fort on the order of the spirit and hence the fort was named after Nahar Singh. Interesting and spooky right?? To make your Culture and heritage walk in Jaipur more interesting, we have brought to you some of the rarest facts about the fort which will make your tour memorable –
Facts on Nahargarh Fort
- The height of the fort is 700 ft and was built to strengthen the city defense. Fort has witnessed many historical incidents such as agreements with Maratha forces in 18th century.
- The fort never face any attacks and hence the guns in the forts were used to indicate the time by firing time signals.
- During first war of Independence in 1857, Maharaja Ram Singh gave shelter to Europeans in this fort.
- Mahendra Bhawan in fort is compact with 12 identical suites which were used by 12 queens. With plush intrior these suites are built in such a way that Maharaja could pay a visit to any queen without other queens knowing about his arrival.
- The entrance gate “Tadiagte” has a temple on its left and another temple dedicated to Rathore Prince Nahar Singh Bhomia.
- Your Rajasthan tours get more amazing by visiting major attractions near Nahargarh Fort such as Jantar Mantar, Amber Fort, Hawa Mahal, City Palace and many more.
- Being a major Jaipur attraction, the place is having many accommodation options which are available in huge range such as Hotel Arya Niwas, The Raj Palace, Hotel Royal Plazzo and many more. These and many other hotels are considered as the best hotels in Jaipur.
- There is a huge water tank in fort that is compact with the channel leading down from the top of the hill to water tank below.
- In one of the suites in fort there were bats hiding in the dark.
- This huge fort is the perfect example of the Indian and European style.