Rajasthan is known for its regal beauty and huge magnificent architectures. The Forts and Palaces of the state are quite interesting to explore during one’s Rajasthan tourism. What more enhance your tour of Rajasthan are the charismatic cities of the state one of the major cities of Rajasthan is named Jaipur which is also serving as the capital of Rajasthan.
Famous as Pink City, Jaipur is boasted with numerous of tourist historical sites, one such monument is the Fort of Jaigarh. Located on the high hillside this fort is famous for its cannon and glorious structure. Here we are going to discuss this for in Detail. Information might come handy for you’re during your Jaipur Tourism.
- Jaigarh Fort an Introduction
- Brief History of Jaigarh Fort
- The architecture of Jaigarh Fort
- Major Attractions in Jaigarh Fort
- Best Time To Visit and Entry Fees in Jaigarh Fort
1. Jaigarh Fort an Introduction
Located on Cheel Ka Teela, the Jaigarh Fort is one of the major forts in Jaipur. It is located next to the magnificent Amber Fort. Travelers who visit Amber Fort also visit the Jaigarh Fort. Built-in 1726 by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II, Jaigarh Fort overlooks the charming Maota Lake which was once the major source of water to both the forts. The main aim for constructing this fort was to protect the Fort of Amber from Invaders. Thus one can find huge cannon in here which is featuring as the largest cannon in the world. These cannons are the major attraction under your Rajasthan tour package.
2. Brief History of Jaigarh Fort
The present is the mirror of the past happenings, and the past of the Jaipur history can be experienced in the present day architectures. Earlier known as Dhundhar, Amber was the chosen place where the structure was fortified as the defensive building for the Amber Fort. During the Mughal reign, at Shah Jahan time, Jaigarh Fort has become world’s most efficient cannon foundries due to the presence of iron ore mines. After the war of succession between Dara Shikoh and Aurangzeb, the fort was taken over by Aurangzeb. Later another Mughal Emperor Muhammad Shah handed over the fort to Jai Singh II who modeled world’s largest cannon “Jaivana Cannon” inside the Jaigarh Fort.
3. The architecture of Jaigarh Fort
The majestic Jaigarh Fort is quite different from all other forts in India. As the construction of this fort was done as the defensive structure, one can find n numbers of secrets in every nook and corner of the fort. The Fort is bounded with thick walls of red sandstone. There is also a charming garden within in a square shape. The structure is also having courtrooms and hall that are compact with the screened windows. The watchtower offers a spectacular view of the landscape which is compacting with Aram Mandir in the northern side of the complex, a triple-arched entrance named The Awani Darwaza. Near the fort, there is an artificial Sagar Lake from where water used to be transported to the fort. What more enhances your Jaipur Tour Package is the presence of two temples; one is Ram Harihar temple and Kal Bhairav Temple of the 10th and 12th century respectively.
4. Major Attractions in Jaigarh Fort
- Armory – The armory of the fort is showcasing the swords, muskets, guns, and cannonball of the then time. There are some old photos of Maharaja of Jaipur namely Sawai Bhawani Singh and Major General Man Singh II.
- Museum – It is another major attraction of Jaigarh Fort. The museum is filled with royal photographs, stamps, and many artifacts. The Jaigarh Fort holds an important place in Cultural and Heritage walk in Jaipur.
- Jaivana Cannon – Manufactured in 1720, the Jaivana Cannon is featuring as the world’s largest cannon on the wheels. The cannon though not used in any battle yet symbolize the chivalry of Rajput warriors.
Book Now: Rajasthan Forts & Palaces Tour Package
5. Best Time To Visit and Entry Fees in Jaigarh Fort
The fort can be best explored during the months of winter. The most suitable months are the November to February. The scorching climate of Rajasthan remains cool and pleasing during this period.
The Fort is open for all days from 9 AM to 4:30 PM. There are some nominal entry fees for Jaigarh Fort, it is INR 35 for Indians and INR 85 for Foreigners.